Monday 23 November 2015

'Tis the Season! Preparing For the Holidays Coffee Date

Hey everyone!

It's nearing about a month to Christmas, and I have un-officially decided that I'm kick starting the season  in my house. Christmas is my favorite, thanks to my Mom and late-Grandmother who are Christmas nuts! I like to have a solid month, if not more, of soaking up the splendor that is a fully decorated home. I come by it honestly, what can I say.

I started earnestly by just placing a few "wintry" decorations around, a few snowmen, a cute bear in a sled, but this past weekend I threw caution to the wind and dug out my boxes from storage (aka. my in law's basement, mini home probs)

Let's sit down and have a coffee date, and discuss Holiday decor!





Christmas decorating is always a family affair! Usually just after Remembrance Day, we gather at my Mom and Dad's to put up their lights. My parents' house is a big two story with a covered porch, and lighting it all up like my Mom likes usually takes some fancy footwork on the roof, which is the method behind our madness for putting them up so early... nobody wants to run around on a slippery roof! Roof crew used to consist of me and Dad, but since Eric's joined our family Dad's passed the torch on to him.. lucky Eric! It's always a fun day with hot chocolates, lots of laughs, and Mom usually cooks up a yummy dinner. Can't go wrong!

Eric and I since decided to piggyback off that idea and usually put our lights up the weekend after. It's not as big a family affair.. but within our little family we always have a good time. Our kitties, Oliver and Beatrice, were ready for the occasion and excited to lend a hand. 

I captured this sweet moment between the two of them while they were playing around in the yard, while we were getting everything set up. I swear they are best friends deep down!

~





Beatrice was so excited she scurried up the ladder to help Eric with the hard part! Unraveling the lights and clipping them to the gutters! Just kidding, she just batted around wiggling light bulbs as Eric clipped them in place. But it was really cute, and made for some cute pictures!

~



Our lights are so easy they usually only take us an hour or two, we were lucky enough to find a big long set that is 84 feet long! Our house is only 74 feet, so the lights fit perfectly, with only a few left over! They came on a spool too, so we just unwind, clip, and plug, and done! It makes for no headache, and lots of time to enjoy the afternoon. With all our spare time, we decided to take it a step further and set up our tree!

Our tree is artificial and pre-lit. We bought it with the gift cards we had gotten from our wedding. It's been through 3 Christmases so far with us and its still going strong!

I'd like to get a taller one, since this one was bought to fit the lower ceilings of our apartment, but it's just so nice and such a breeze to put together, that until it gets smelly (like some trees do once they are too old) or lights start going out, I'm going to keep it. I propped it up with some cute wooden crates, and covered those with my burlap tree skirt. It really goes with the rustic, country chic look I go for in my house, and gives more room for presents. Once it's packed in with gifts, you really can't tell anyways!


~



I then spent the evenings this weekend tidying up my house for the guest-filled Christmas season. I put up the rest of my Holiday decor, and added a few fun new touches. One of which was this adorable birch branch window decoration. I found a beautiful, weathered looking branch from our birch tree out front, and hung it on the window with some ribbon and tape, and hung some ornaments off it! It looks so rustic and cute.

I'm going to tidy it up with some bows where the ribbons hang, and getting clear tape instead of my fancy masking tape to secure it to the panes, but it was too cute not to share right away!

A beautifully decorated home does not have to be expensive!

~





Lastly, it was project guest-room this weekend at my home! I finally got the two rooms cleaned out and ready for Holiday guests. This room is my pride and joy. We painted the walls a sunny, pale yellow a few weeks back, and I finally got Eric's old bed situated inside. We outfitted it with quilt Eric's Nanny made for us, and I finally got some decor situated. I added Holly berries for a bit of Holiday cheer, because as you can see from the bed, this room has become Christmas HQ! Look for a room tour of this pretty room coming soon!

~


Well that's it everyone! I was busy busy getting my home Holiday and winter season ready this weekend! Finally everything is pretty and cozy, and we're just waiting for a fresh blanket of snow... and of course... Santa!

Until next time,

xoxo - Court

No comments:

Post a Comment