Monday 4 May 2015

Cook: Dark Chocolate Amaretto Cupcakes (With Whipped Cream & Rum Icing!!)






Hi Guys!

I'm here today to share with you my favorite, go to, can't be beat, tons of compliments, gone in a flash, trusty rusty cupcake recipe.

Yeah, it's THAT good!

This recipe was almost a happy accident, I found the chocolate cake recipe just floating around on Google one day after looking for a good, moist cake for someone's birthday. Liking the results, I started to play around with what I added into the cake, which made me like it even more!

I  made my best version, with the Amaretto, for my friend's birthday, and they were and instant hit, gone in merely an hour! I've baked a lot in my day, and I have to agree with the party guests, "This is the best cupcake ever!" I think its because the cake is super moist and very fluffy, and the chocolate is a dark, dark, semi sweet chocolate taste rather than the usual "fake box" chocolate or milk chocolate flavor, with hints of mouth watering, almost cherry, goodness from the Amaretto. It really feels like you're diving into something decadent, and not just from someone's kitchen, whipped up in a flash, but of course with love.

I'm going to cut myself off there, because really, the written word does not do these cupcakes justice. You really need to print out this page, get into the kitchen, and whip them up yourselves to experience the wonder!

Dark Chocolate Amaretto Cupcakes


  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream (or any other cream, straight milk will work fine too, but I just love the added creamyness)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature (I've used margarine with excellent results as well, though you' cant beat butter... go big or go home)
  • 2/3 cup hot water
  • 1/3 cup Amaretto (If you're feeling dangerous, you can add really any liquor, I've used Whiskey, Rum, and Kahlua all to date, but the Amaretto has given best results. Seriously. Go buy Amaretto and add it in)
This yields a thin batter, so don't be alarmed. Bake in lined muffin tins for about 30ish minutes, depending on your oven. The best bet is to insert a cake tester or fork, and when it comes out clean, they are done. (I never time my baking, bakers' instincts). Allow to cool before frosting.

The frosting is totally optional, you could use canned frosting, home made butter cream, anything really to adorn these puppies and they would still be fantastic. But if you're looking for added oomph, try this recipe out, you will NOT be disappointed.

Whipped Cream Rum Icing


  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 2-ish cups icing sugar (a little more, a little less, depending on the consistency you're going for. I started off with 2 cups and wound up adding a bit more, just to give them more fluff since I was transporting them an hour away)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp rum (or any other alcohol you want to add in, Bailey's works wonderfully, too)
Whip together on highest setting until stiff peaks appear. Add to cupcakes once fully cooled.

I've been told it's not the simplest recipes, but like anything good, it's worth the work. I don't find it very time consuming, but I love to bake.

Seriously, try these babies out!



No comments:

Post a Comment