Thursday 21 May 2015

Beauty: Bake Your Face! Concealer Technique




I heard of a new trick for concealer a while ago that sounded like a Godsend to me. I had heard of it briefly in theory before, but had never truly put it to the test or really researched anything behind it until recently.

The technique is called "Baking" or "Cooking" and if your'e picturing shoving your head in an oven Sylvia Plath style, then stick with me, that's not how I roll here.

In essence, the technique means to let your concealer sit on your face for 10-15 minutes, to let your body heat melt and oxidise the makeup into the skin, usually under powder. As the makeup continues to set, and the emollient ingredients absorb deeply into the skin, you are left with a smoother, more pigmented texture to work with. The finish is generally pretty flawless, and more poreless than just slapping it on, blending it out, and carrying on.

Ive been testing out this method for a full 9+ hour day at work, parties, and other general life situations, and am very, very pleased with the results, especially around problem areas, and areas my makeup tends to break up.

My first, full faced makeup with the baking technique. Great results!


I tend to get a lot of breakup in my T-Zone, especially between my eyebrows and down the bridge of  my nose, because I make a lot of facial expressions, and wear glasses. I also usually have a hell of a time keeping my foundation/concealer in place on my chin, and usually have some problem areas going on at some point.

This technique kept oil at bay on my forehead for literally the entire day, which is a huge feat for any product. It also kept the twin on my chin hidden nicely, and didn't stray during that 2:30 slum us office folks are accustomed to.

Literally just pulled in the driveway.. makeup applied at 7am, returned home at 530pm


I'm surprised at how easy and how little you actually need for this runway ready look. To get flawless for the day, you only need:




  • A creamy concealer (Really watery or dry just won't do. I use Hard Candy Glamoflauge Ultra Light Concealer) (Holy-ass-grail!!!!)
  • Something to blend with that isn't your hands (Fingers really don't work for this. I use my little Ecotools powder brush, but really any fluffy\dense face brush or Beauty Blender-esque sponge will work)
  • A finely milled powder (finely milled is really key, to avoid cake face. ELF HD Setting Powder is literally the bomb.com. It's cheap, its the best, its long wearing... yeah. I've heard it compared to a dupe for Makeup For Ever HD Setting Powder. So there's that.)



After foundation is applied, start by applying your concealer where you normally would. I use my concealer for color correction as well as highlighting, but this is the part that's really up to you. I apply it under my eyes to my cheekbones, on and around my nose (I get really red there) on my chin extending to my jawbone, and on my forehead. But again, its personal preference and your individual needs.




This is the part that feels so darn un-natural!! Instead of blending at this point, get that brush good and covered with whatever powder you're using, and put it right on top of the concealer. It will look scary, an feel weird, but I promise, just go with me.

Paitence is now needed. Let that set for about 10-15, even 20 minutes. I usually wind up right in between 10-15, and while it's setting, I'll start my eyes, eyebrows and prep my hair. By the time that's done, you can go back and blend that concealery/powdery mess out until your hands hurt.

Seriously. Blending is key, and where the dense, fluffy brush really comes in handy.




Once you have your concealer blended out, continue on with your regime as usual.

Bare faced

Concealer & brows

When I use the bake technique, I usually try to go light on foundation, since so much concealer is being applied, and covers a large surface area (for me, at least) and I hate cake face, and try to avoid any cream products on my face afterwards, but I've heard of others using cream products after just fine. Practice makes perfect, and trial and error will really tell you what works for you.

Give it a whirl! I guarantee you won't ever go back to regular concealer again!

Shop What I've Got!


Have a great day,

xoxo Court


No comments:

Post a Comment