Friday 22 May 2015

Beauty: All About that (My) Brow





After I shared a my post about my baking concealer technique to my Facebook profile, a lot of my friends requested an eyebrow tutorial, and I can say I can't blame them! Eyebrows are one of the most important parts of your face. They, most importantly, frame your face, and can take you from "I look sick and/or scary" to "fierce and fabulous" in about 2.5 seconds.

Seriously. Google "celebrities with no eyebrows" and you'll know what I'm talking about. Creepy.

There are a few key elements you need to get into before you dive right into shaping your eyebrows:

Determine Your Needs/Wants
What's your ideal brow shape? What look are you drawn to most? Most girls, I find, want what's on trend, and right now, thicker, fuller brows that fade in from the center of your face are hot. Luckily, this tutorial will show that method because it's what I do day to day, and its so highly requested, but its important to do some Pinning or Google searches to see what's on trend and what you really want. Do you just want some thin spots filled in? Do you want them thicker, more prominent? Do you want the color changed completely? Trial and error will also show you what looks best on you personally, so don't be afraid to experiment! It's makeup, it washes off in an instant!

Prepare the Base
As with any art, a good canvas is key. I always recommend getting your eyebrows plucked/waxed/threaded before you start on an eyebrow makeover, to get them properly shaped. Remember you can always add back in with brow products, but it's difficult to take away.

Selecting a Product Consistency
Product consistency is important after you determine what look you want. If you are happy with your natural brow, and are just wanting a few spots filled in, a pencil product with a spooly brush will work just fine for you. If you want the faded in look, powders are great. If you're going for a dramatic, bold look, creams will probably be your best friend. However, if you're excessively oily, I would probably stick with powder, since it will combat any product slippage through the day due to the oil,. (You don't want your brows on your chin) Most people with normal to combo skin, or even slightly oily, can work fine with any product.

Selecting the Color
This is where it's important. You always want to go a shade lighter than what you think you need... To a point. Because I like my brows bold, I usually go a bit darker. However, a rule of thumb is to go a shade lighter than your natural brow hair color.


Once you have all that worked out, it's time to get down to the technique.

I usually do my brows after foundation or concealer, or while my concealer is "baking". With this particular technique, I only need three things:



Before you get into the nitty gritty, it's important to remember the rules of brow placement.



Your brows should begin right at the side of your nose. Take your brush and place it right beside your nose, pointing upwards, straight. You'll see where it should begin.

The arch should start diagonally with your pupil.

The tail should end at a 90 degree angle from your nostril.

With the angled brush, get a bit of the product you're using on the brush, and trace a line just along the bottom part of the brow, as shown below. Stop right where it begins to arch.



With a bit more product on the brush, trace a line along the top part of the brow. With the outline lines, this is where you can extend the brow outwards to stop where the straight line from your nostril was, to get the proper shape.



Take a tiny bit of product on the brush, (This is where I switch to the lighter color) and begin to blend out the outlines, using quick, sketching motions with the brush.



With your darkest color, then fill in the tail of the brow, extending if needed, to where measured. 



After that, really only a bit of cleanup is needed. For a day to day, natural look, I'll take any face powder and dip my rounded edge brush in it, and just lightly trace around the brow to tidy up any smudges. But if I really want a dramatic, bold look (like for a night out) I'll do the same with concealer, and then blend it out. The technique is called cutting, and gives a razor edge appearance, and also helps seal in the brow against any sweating or smudging.



Brows are so important, but also very daunting. The most important advice I can really offer is don't be afraid to play. I always try new techniques on days I'm sitting home and don't have anywhere to be but my house. I can't tell you how many times my husband has come home to me vacuuming the floors with wild eyeshadow on, or two different eyebrows.

Don't take it too seriously!

xoxo - Court






No comments:

Post a Comment