Wednesday 15 April 2015

Beauty: Spring Staples & Being Beautiful

Hey guys!

I don't want to say it too loud for fear of jinxing myself, but I think, think, spring may of finally sprung here in Southern New Brunswick.

It hasn't snowed any more than 5 centimetres in, I'd say over a month now, and I can see grass in places the sun hits strong during the daytime. Also! On a sunny day, when I get in my car after work, the inside is warm.. so that has to be a positive sign, right?

I can tell it must be, because my skin has outgrown my winter skincare. So it's time to freshen up!

In the winter, I am, like most people I assume, more prone to skin problems. The constant dry heat from heating systems kicks my skin into oil overdrive, which causes me to need a more matte, fuller coverage foundation. My holy grail in the winter is Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse in 01 Porcelain Ivory.

However, in the spring and summer, I like a fresh face. In fact in the recent weeks, I've been focused even more on myself - my modesty, my self-worth, and most importantly, being comfortable in my own skin. As I get older and find out more of who I am and I want to be, I don't want to be the girl with the "flawless makeup" every day. I want to people to know me for me, not the painting I put on my skin.

My usual look

Don't get me wrong, I still do love makeup, and there is nothing I love more than getting fancy for special events, but it's more the day to day I'm concerned with. While I believe in putting your best face forward, I don't want to feel the need that I'm nothing without layers of makeup. I do, however, want to enhance what I've been given, and now that I've been doing that, I've never felt so good!

That being said, my Spring & Summer beauty regime has been a bit overhauled from last year's and I'm LOVING the new products.

Maybelline Baby Skin Primer


This is a new favorite, but has instantly become a staple! After playing around with a lot of different primers, I've finally found one that makes me oh-so happy!

I usually apply this on my T-Zone (where I have the most flaws and gets the most oily throughout the day) and a tiny tiny bit over any blemishes I have just to help the concealer I'll put on top of them to go on more smoothly. In the summer, on weekends, I would honestly stop at this step. (After sunscreen, of course) It has blur technology in it that gives a matte finish, and hides any pores or small weird spots. It also provides an amazing base for applying makeup over it, if you're looking for more coverage.

Covergirl CG Smoothers BB Cream


This I apply more like a moisturizer, just lightly all over my face. It really does hydrate my skin really well, and provides just a bit of tint enhance my skin tone. I've noticed such great changes in my skin since I began using this as my daily moisturizer.

Hard Candy Glamoflauge Concealer


This stuff is no joke! You literally need a dab the size of a ball on a pin to give you more than enough coverage! This stuff has lasted me forever, and I'm still only at half a tube! The coverage it provides is absolutely amazing, I would even say it could hide a tattoo or any serious discolouration or blemish.

I use barely any, and apply to areas where I get the most discolouration. I apply a bit under my eyes since I tend to get darkish circles, on and around my nose since I tend to get redness there, a bit on my chin because I can get some redness there too, and a little bit on any blemishes. I be sure to blend it out really well, then set your face with some powder. Any powder will do, and I never use the same one.

NYC Sunny Bronzer


For work, I like to try to look my best, so I'll add a bit of bronzer just to give me a bit of a healthy flush. I apply it very lightly with a fluffy brush, and it just sort of wakes up my skin a bit. In the summer once I get more of a natural tan from being out in the sunlight I'll skip this step, but before I get naturally sun kissed, this helps a lot in keeping me looking fresh!

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette


My hair is naturally blonde, so my eyebrows often appear a little sparse. Eyebrows are so great at framing the face, that this is really a step I never skip. I use the two brown shades, Naked2 and Faint, to fill in where my brows lack on their own. I use Naked2 to fill in the first, thickest part of my brows with a skinny angled brush, then fill in the tails with Faint. These colours are nearly identical to my brows' own colour, so it really just provides them a little boost.

ELF Smudge Pot in "A'int That Sweet?"


This really is the sweetest colour. It came as a surprise with a recent ELF order I made, and I've been addicted ever since. It is sheer, and when applied lightly with your finger, it provides a little bit of a pink tint that just wakes up your entire eye. It also has these gorgeous, subtle flecks of blue and white glitter that, when they catch the sunlight, just make you glow. It makes a great base for other eye shadows, but I love this colour so much I wear it alone. It really enhances my fair skin tone and makes me feel like a princess.

ELF Under Eye Setting Powder


I use this to set the Smudge Pot, with a fluffy brush, just because I find cream eye shadows, when not set, can creep up and crease in your eyelids, which is not a pretty look. This powder is especially velvety, and really is the exact same color as the smudge pot, down to the beautiful shimmer, only in powder form. A match made in heaven!

Covergirl Lashblast Volume & Clump Crusher Waterproof



These have been my holy grail mascaras for some time now. I apply two coats of the Clump Crusher formula (which I find lengthening), at the start, and one at the finish to comb the Volumizing formula through and separate the lashes, and one coat of the Volumizing. Both in waterproof, because I have allergies and am prone to watery eyes. I haven't found a formula that provides the effects that both of these give me in one tube yet, but I'm happy with my results. My lashes are pretty light on their own, so I love to make them pop!

ELF Mist and Set Setting Spray


This is my final step, which I use really only on work days. I really find it helps keep my make up lasting throughout the whole day, so I don't have to touch up, or worry about smears. It also has great vitamins in the formula, which really give your skin a boost!


That is my go to routine for a workday! On Weekends or days off I usually edit it to whatever I feel, or most days go bare faced if I'm just relaxing around the house.


The most important thing to realize is that you are you, and you are beautiful. Makeup is a wonderful tool - It can hide things we're insecure about, and enhance things we love, but, it's important to remember it shouldn't be a mask. Everyone is different, and everyone is beautiful. The most important cosmetic is confidence, and a beautiful smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment