Wednesday 18 March 2015

Decor: What's Old is New Again

Hey guys!

We had one day of Spring-like weather here last week, and that was totally enough to ignite spring fever for me. Although two days later we were buried under 30 more centimetres of snow, inside my house it's spring, and nobody can tell me different!

With that mindset, Eric and I have launched on a few little projects. Project one is hallway/computer area cleaning, painting, and organizing, and two is project guest room. Most of our friends live out of town, and I want a cozy, inviting place for them to stay, should they choose to spend the night. The guest room will also be, eventually, turned into our child's room when we have one (not for a while yet, people) and I wanted to get a head start on gathering nice furniture and things our future child will enjoy for years to come.

Project Spare Room was more going to be a late spring-early summer project, just because it's such a bugger to clean out the rooms of all the junk we've gathered in a short year. Also, there's a lot of nice things that I either have duplicates of from wedding showers, and just things that are nice, but aren't my taste I wanted to yard sale. Now, I don't know if any of you are reading from Southern New Brunswick, but if you aren't there's snow banks up past my head (I'm 5 foot 3) and I sincerely doubt I'll be seeing yard sale weather until July, so I wanted to hold off. I mean, it's a spare room, I can just close the door and pretend it's pretty, right?

Eric, apparently, says no.

It all got kick started into gear when Eric's Dad showed up with a beautiful dresser, an amazing lamp, and a cute little night stand, from a lady he was doing carpentry work for and was just giving it away. He knew Eric and I were looking for little extra furniture for our spare rooms, and snatched them up. Boy, was I glad!

The dresser is in immaculate shape, a beautiful rustic white color, with tons of space for our off season clothes so they're not tying up space in our closet, and eventually kiddo's clothes. It also has a mirror that we can attach if we want, however I'm not sure if I want to attach it just yet... I'll have to see how the room unfolds. I do know for sure, I want to get a burlap runner for it, and set that lamp on top of it, with a few decor-y things. It will look stunning, I can't wait to get a post up about that spare room.


The most gorgeous lamp of life, excuse the messy kitchen and eaten cupcake wrapper....


But on to things I can actually take pictures of and post about! The most easily fixed up of all the things I got that night was the night stand, and it comes with a little back story.

As stated in the news, Target Canada is closing. Which made me sad, because it was one of my favourite stores. Because of some of their actions after the closing announcement, I chose not to support them any longer. However, there was this precious little night stand that was in my local store, that I was just dying over. It's called the South Hampton night stand, and I was just smitten. But not with the price, of course.


I had all but given up on my little night stand, although I couldn't shake how perfect it would be for this lovely lamp I had that was in desperate need of a home in my living room. We previously had a stand lamp for our living room (our living room has no in ceiling lights) and it was just plain busted, wobbily, and no good. Eric's Nanny had given me an adorable, vintage, white lamp that was just darling with a chevron lampshade, and that puppy needed a table to sit on.

Well when my father in law showed up with that stand, I nearly died. It was nearly exactly the same as my coveted Target stand!

With a quick sand and a few coats of paint in a similar grey shade, we were in business.

I also grabbed a can of gunmetal metallic spray paint and painted the base of the lamp, just to modern it up a bit. I love the finished product!


I love lamp.


So step 1 of Poject House is complete! My lamp and night stand are in place!




Now on to Step 2, finish hallway, and Step 3, guest bedroom. I can't wait to update you all with progress!






No comments:

Post a Comment