Wednesday 21 January 2015

NYX Butter Gloss - Review, Swatches & My Favorites!



Hey Guys!


Before I dive into my latest and greatest post, I want to give you guys a little update! I've had this blog for a few months now, and I'm really starting to find my groove with it. Now that I've found my voice, I want to start really focusing on the content for you guys. I've upgraded my camera, which means better images, and worked out a new posting schedule that allows me to put out stellar posts for you guys. That being said, look for new, bigger and better posts weekly!

So now that that's out of the way, you know very well by now that when I find a holy grail product, I just have to do a review on here for everyone! Because we're like best girlfriends, sitting in our bedrooms gossiping about boys and doing eachother's makeup...






My newest, most fantastic holy grail product by far is the NYX Butter gloss. Now I know, I know, I'm late on the draw with this stuff. It's because I'm Canadian, and Canada always seems to get the best stuff last. To add insult to injury, I'm not only Canadian, but from this tiny little forgotten province that doesn't really get its own identity, but is lumped together with the other tiny provinces around it called The Maritimes. Ughh, we have our own identity people!!

Rant over, but yes. NYX Butter Gloss is amazing.



I love it because, though I love makeup, I'm kind of a lip color phobe. Weird right? I mean I've always done gloss, but always just a little shine or nude colors to make it look like I didn't forget my lips. I mean, I love lip colors on everyone else, but I always find they look kind of weird on me. Not to mention, they never last, and because I live in a practical world, not a world where I'm paid to do my makeup then just sit around all day, when some lip colors wear off on me, they look weird. Beyond weird. Like, scary clown weird. Nobody wants to be sitting in a board room meeting, taking minutes and suddenly your red lip is like half off on the bottom lip but still there on the top. Talk about bye bye promotion and weird looks from the C.E.O... Nightmares of mine.




Messy, messy, messy.



But, with the Butter Gloss, I find it's a low commitment, high happy relationship. The glosses are pigmented, but sheer, if that makes sense. They don't last very long, but that's OK for me, since I don't always want an all day commitment with a lip color. The great thing is, when they wear off, they don't smudge or smear, or hang out on your teeth being all like "Hayy, here to ruin your dayyy", they just sort of slowly disappear and you can easily re-apply. Another great thing is the application, because for most of them you don't really need a mirror, or to be precise, or even remotely talented, since they are more on the sheer side. Super easy to swipe back on after lunch, and touching up is a breeze before meeting a client or going into a conference.



Needless to say, these products are great, super, fantastic, for a novice lip color lover, someone just entering the makeup world, or the eternally talentless, lacking a steady hand or any basic knowledge of how to get crap from a tube from that tube onto your lips. Or someone like me, the forever wary of lip color making me look stupider than I already do.



Girl, good thing you're reading here then! I've solved all our problems!



When I find something I love, I hoard it. I have makeup abandonment issues. I'm scared I'll find something life changing, and it will get discontinued, or because I'm Canadian the company will be like "Meh, Canada sucks," and haul-ass out of there. It's happened to me way too many times to count, and each time is worse than a High School breakup. Hopefully NYX wont do that to me.







NYX Butter Gloss $6-$7, wherever NYX products sold (Lawtons Drugs if your'e in my area)

In my collection, I have the five I don't think I could ever live without. Creme Brulee, Eclair, Apple Strudel, Peaches and Cream, and Cherry Pie.


Creme Brulee


Creme Brulee is a fantastic nude. If you're flirting with this nude lip thing that's floating about, but scared that blanching out your lips may make you look a bit too dead, this is the perfect segway into the trend. Something I hate about a lot of pigmented glosses, is a lot of the color settles into the wrinkles of your lips and leaves you with tiger lips. I don't find the Butter Glosses do this. The only one who comes close to doing that is this shade, however just keep a light hand and you're golden.



-




Eclair


Oh. My. Goodness.

If I could only pick one shade to wear on my lips for the rest of my life, this would be it. This shade is fantastic, terrific, magnificent, my go to daily lipcolor.

I love it.

Eclair is the perfect nudey-pink. It is a total "your lips, but better!" shade, as it gives gloss, moisture, the perfect color and makes your lips look completely flawless. It fills in those annoying little cracks that happen to me, mostly in the colder months, yet still gives perfect coverage. It really makes me look like I have doll lips, 100% perfect. I cannot rave about this shade enough. You need it in your daily drawer.




-



Apple Strudel



This color is super fun. It doesn't get as much wear in the colder months for me, because I feel its more of a spring/summer shade, a coral more on the cool side. It gives your lips a fun pop of color without being too overpowering. When I see this shade on myself, I think of drinks on the boardwalk with the girls, or out for a Margarita night. I think this would be great for younger girls trying to experiment with lip color. Its fun, but also subtle, and not overpowering for day to day.



-


Peaches and Cream


This is my sassy color. I wear this when I want a statement lip, but not quite feeling as bold as red. I think it's super flirty and girly, and really packs a punch without being too much in your face. I'll admit, I bought this without really swatching it, I mainly just thought the bottle was cute and I loved the name, because I love all things peach. I really thought it was going to be more sheer, more like Eclair or Apple Strudle. When I got it home and put it on, I was super surprised at how pigmented it was, and how cute! This color was honestly the color that made me run out and try Cherry Pie as a way to ease myself into lip colors without being too bold. And the compliments I get on the shade whenever I wear it! Unbelievable. The only downfall is, where it is more pigmented, you do need a mirror to apply it, but not as much as a lipstick. I could pull it off in the front facing camera of my iPhone, if needed, it's also very forgiving. If you miss a bit, or go over your lip line, just wipe it off with your finger, no stain. If your're a girly girl, you need this shade, it is to adorable to pass up.




-



Cherry Pie

     

I love red lips on everyone but myself. It's just such a big commitment. I think its so glamorous, but it's so high maintenance to have to so carefully put it on your lips, and then be easy all day making sure you don't smear. And touch ups...? Nah. I mean sure, for an evening or something, but day to day? Holy. I'm starting to sweat.

That's why this red Butter Gloss ranks so high in my books. Now, it's sheer. I get it. I don't expect a lip stick's pigmentation from something that says "gloss" on the bottle. That being said, for a gloss, its pretty darn pigmented. It gives your lips a nice pop of red without being too in your face or too high commitment. Clean up is a breeze, it wipes right off with minimal staining. When you first put it on, you have to be a little careful to stay inside the lines, but after that first application, touch ups are so easy, the pigment really spreads itself around easily. This would be fantastic for younger girls just getting into lipstick, or someone like myself that loves color but not how fussy it can be for day to day. I love this gloss for the colder months, especially where its moisturizing, and colorful. Such a great shade for close to Christmas!




I seriously can't say enough great things about these glosses. Great pigmentation and color payoff, moisturizing, protecting against the cold, dry air, what else could you want?  

I highly recommend checking these out. I can't wait to add to my collection!


Happy Sunday!

xoxo- Court




No comments:

Post a Comment